The Estate

The Mersham Hatch Estate is located near to Ashford in Kent and covers the parishes of Mersham, Smeeth, and Brabourne. It lies between the North Downs, which are part of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Romney Marsh. It extends to 2,700 acres of arable/dairy farmland and woodland and there is an extensive network of public footpaths which cross the Estate.

A beautiful deer park of 190 acres lies at its heart with a free grazing herd of around 100 Fallow deer which were established in the 17th Century. There is also a large Friesian dairy herd occupying part of the farmland. It has an ornamental lake and pond and numerous majestic veteran trees. There are also two areas of ancient hornbeam woodland over 1000 years old which is the inspiration behind the hornbeam leaf used in the Estate logo.

The majority of the Estate has been in continual ownership by the Knatchbull family since 1486 during the reign of Henry VII.

Although it lies only a few miles from Ashford town centre the Estate still remains an idyllic English countryside haven.